View Single Post
Old
12-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Markisonfire is on the mark with his assessment. Now the Kings aren't going to have a mass overhaul of their roster, but I think you'll see a few changes as a result of the Kings having so many expiring contracts coming off the books.

-Priority #1: Pursue Zach Parise
With Penner set to depart as a UFA, this is LA's opportunity to add the highly coveted sniper that they have been looking for the past few seasons.

-Priority #2: The Bottom Six
The Kings need to be tougher as a team and they also have to get some scoring support from their bottom six forwards. They need to shore up the third line with an improvement at C and a forward who has some bite to his game.

My wishlist for bottom six forwards will include the following names, in no specific order:
Jochen Hecht (C)
Travis Moen (W)
Brandon Prust (C/W)
Paul Gaustad (C)
Chris Kelly (C/W)
David Moss (W)
Jordin Tootoo (W)
Adam Burish (C/W)
Dominic Moore (C)
Greg Campbell (C/W)
Taylor Pyatt (W)
Dan Carcillo (W)
Frans Nielsen (C)

The Kings will have four vacancies open to fill in their bottom six, including a depth forward (which was a position previously held by Ethan Moreau). Bottom six forwards under contract for next season include Brad Richardson, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, and Kevin Westgarth. I do not categorize Andrei Loktionov as a bottom six forward and would not force him into the #3 C spot.

Internally, I would consider Jordan Nolan, Dwight King and Marc-Andre Cliche as potential candidates to win a spot on the roster in a bottom six position.

-Priority #3: Re-sign Willie Mitchell/Sign Tim Gleason
He is one of the most dependable players on the roster and a steadying presence on the blueline. They need Mitchell back. If for some reason Mitchell decides to pursue other opportunities, then I would shift my focus onto Tim Gleason.

The shortlist of defensemen to consider as a 'Plan B' in case they fail to reach an agreement with Mitchell or fail to sign Gleason:
Josh Gorges
Hal Gill
Scott Hannan
Bryan Allen
Aaron Rome
Greg Zanon

A sample of what my lineup would look like based on my wishlist:
Parise-Kopitar-Brown
Gagne-Richards-Williams
Richardson-Gaustad-Tootoo
Clifford-Kelly-Lewis

Johnson-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Scuderi-Greene

Quick-Bernier

Scratches: Nolan, Westgarth, Martinez

EDIT: One more thing to add. If there is any trade to pursue, I'd go hard after Jarome Iginla. Calgary needs a goalie for the future. Feaster had to trade a superstar forward in the past when he was GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning and moved Brad Richards (along with goalie Johan Holmqvist) to Dallas for Jussi Jokinen, Mike Smith, Jeff Halpern, and a 4th round pick.

I'd offer Jonathan Bernier along with Justin Williams and Calgary's choice of any one defenseman from Alec Martinez, Thomas Hickey, or Derek Forbort for Jarome Iginla.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 12-14-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote