Old
12-14-2011, 07:41 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Evgeny Groshev, C
Three years and only 25 games on the national team, scoring no goals ever against Czechoslovakia nor Sweden, just one against Canada and a total of ten internationally in all for a career center. Does he have intangibles? Was he defensive? Or... was he the domestic league scorer who couldn't cut it on the national team he seems to be? Hundreds of players are talked about in Lawrence Martin's The Red Machine and Tarosov's Road to Olympus but not a single mention of the short term national team center whose only claim to historical mention is one statistically superior domestic regular season in goals scored and two other all-star seasons, all three in the domestic league.

BTW, Nikolai Makarov would be a half-decent pick at this point, or some time soon. Players whose resume relies on domestic European league play without international success, or even tenure during their nation's greatest era for international level of play is just... so B draft material!

I appreciate the heck out of so many Soviets... but Groshev? .. I must be missing something... or else you value domestic European league scoring in the late 50s/early 60s much higher than I do!! Which is it?

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote