View Single Post
Old
12-14-2011, 02:01 PM
llamateizer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
If scoring was all defencemen do, sure.

In a salary cap league, I think it's important to pay people according to their slot. An overpaid 5/6 guy limits the money available for a real 1/2 guy.

It's a finite pool. Say Shea Weber becomes a UFA and we lose out in the bidding by 1m to say.... Carolina... then I'd rather not have Kaberle so that he can be fit in.

If it wasn't for the cap, I couldn't care less. He's a solid contributor, but having a well balanced team by slot is important in this world.

For now, it doesn't matter. We have Subban in the top 2 earning bottom 2 money. I believe he's a free agent this summer though, so that's about to change.

The above is all perfect world and that's not fair, but the fact is that the successful teams will have more balanced rosters that pay people closer to their contributions, which will ensure they can keep their free agents and sign others. Teams that overpay for people down the depth chart will run into trouble. If Chicago hadn't overpaid Campbell and Huet, for example, they might have had a dynasty instead of a single run. It was great until their cheap core came up for renewal. Kaberle (and others) have contracts that are directly going to impact the team's ability to pay and keep people like Price and Subban.
I agree that Kaberle will mortgage some salary cap. But the actual situation needed to be handled. Kaberle is saving the habs season right now. Its not highly paid for this.
as for Weber, yes I agree, but he earns 7.5 millions RFA. Imagine him UFA... Yikes.

If we are in the run for Weber... well Kaberle would've been traded a la samsonov.
samsonov for 2 other players (then bought out).

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote