WestIslander

vCash: 500
Spacek expected to be moved AND Montreal looking for a top six forward

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl111213.html

Quote:
December 13, 2011 | 10:50am ET

Spacek expected to be moved

TheFourthPeriod.com

Being traded by the Canadiens last week didn't exactly surprise veteran defenseman Jaroslav Spacek, the Montreal Gazette reports.

Late last week, the Habs dealt Spacek to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for fellow blueliner Tomas Kaberle.

"To be honest, I'd say I knew I'd be traded by the end of the year," Spacek told the Gazette. "Maybe a little before the trade deadline, but not right now."
Spacek, who missed 12 games rehabbing an upper-body injury, was preparing for Friday morning practice when he found out about the move.

"I walked by the (dressing-room) board and there was the lineup for practice," he explained. "My number was outside the lineup and I thought, 'Ah, here we go, something's going on for sure.'"

After being told by Canadiens assistant coach Randy Ladouceur to see head coach Jacques Martin in his office, Martin proceeded to make a phone call to GM Pierre Gauthier.

"Pierre told me I was traded, but the strange thing was, he didn't tell me where because it hadn't been approved by the league. He told me: 'It's not fair to the other team if I tell you where you're going,' and I said: 'What the hell are you talking about? You've just traded me.'"

Spacek returned to the dressing room, shook hands with his now-former teammates, took a shower and then found out he headed to Carolina.

The Canadiens, meanwhile, will get defenseman Chris Campoli back in the lineup tonight.

Gauthier is still in the market for a scoring, top-six forward, though it's uncertain if a trade will occur before the holiday roster freeze.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote