View Single Post
Old
12-14-2011, 04:05 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
my suggestion would be to not be standing stationary against the boards when you are waiting for the breakout pass.. keep your feet moving so you have some kind of momentum for a quicker turn. If you are going to be coming to a complete stop to gather the puck, make sure you are in a position to have a strong push off in the direction you are going to go; that is why butt to boards is a decent idea.. you are open to the ice to either make another pass or to start skating to open ice..
Agreed, if you're standing still at the halfboards you'll just be useless when you get the puck, you should always be skating either up or down the boards. If already skating up the ice you just keep going, if you're skating towards the dman when you receive the pass, then it's time to make a tight turn with the puck and start moving up ice, with the key being that you already have speed from being in motion. I only ever stand still with my butt to the boards when the dman is under heavy pressure and will likely be ringing the puck up the boards, but ideally a breakout should consist of a tape-to-tape pass from the dman to a winger who is in motion when he receives the puck.

As for the OP, my guess is you can't make tight turns even without the puck, and probably need to work on your edges. These drills are awesome for improving your edge work:

One thing, though, is that I'd suggest leaving the 1-footed skating drill to the end of your progression, as it's the toughest. Start with the figure 8s, progress to scissor skating, then learn tight turns/the slalom drill, and finally learn to skate 1-footed to really master your edges.

Once you can make tight turns without the puck, work on tight turns with the puck, at high speeds. At first it can be hard to control the puck when turning to your backhand side, but it comes with time. And when turning to your forehand side, make sure not to cross your arms, this puts you in a useless position coming out of the turn, instead keep your stick in its normal position and just close your blade, like this:

In general on breakouts (I mostly play wing), I like to go extra deep, like pretty close to the goal line, turn hard up ice, then receive the puck while skating up ice near the boards. Obviously you need to be able to read the play and time this properly, you need to know when your dman will be ready to make the pass. Then when I get the puck I like to step into the middle of the ice a bit, if you stay on the boards the dman can easily cut you off, but by taking a step off the boards you have way more options (can beat him to either side, chip it off the boards, move it to your center, etc.).

Last edited by ponder: 12-14-2011 at 04:18 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote