View Single Post
Old
12-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I honestly couldn't figure out why the Sabres gave Leino that kind of contract. It was a move contradictory of everything I've come to expect out of that franchise (shrewd talent evaluation and fiscal prudence). It's almost like Pegula saw Ville score the OT goal in Game 6 and told Darcy Regier, "I MUST HAVE HIM!"

Leino is a good complementary player who needs to be put with linemates who augment his abilities... and the coach needs to leave that line alone. He's a very delicate player who should come with a "must be handled with care" label. Otherwise, things are going to go to ****. Quickly. But once Ville establishes chemistry and a comfort level on the ice with the two other forwards on his line (like Adam and Kassian), that's when you'll start to see some of the flashes that hoodwinked the Sabres into giving him $27 million over six years. Can't blame Leino for taking the money, but you can blame the Sabres for having thought he is an alpha male player who can lead a team (and paying him like one).
Sorta like the Flyers with Shelley.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote