View Single Post
Old
12-15-2011, 09:51 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
Haha but yeah, there's so many flaws. For example, there's absolutely nothing stopping the Red Sox from bidding $1 billion with ZERO intention of negotiating with Darvish, just to block the other teams. That loophole's gotta be fixed.

And there's just something about the Japanese...Darvish is a "surefire #1 ace", yeah okay, but recall, so was Dice-K. He also came with a gyroball and a consistent upper-90s fastball. Didn't see either. Be wary. Darvish may be an ace...he may a AAA pitcher.
Ugh, the "gyroball". A curveball that doesn't curve. A fastball that spins the laces around instead of back. No movement. Total trick pitch.

Anyways, I agree that Japanese pitchers are dicey, there's been no real consistency in what you're buying. I do think Darvish might be different, though... and considering the DiceK price and subsequent poor performance the past few years, I think that whoever gets Darvish won't pay NEAR what the Sox did to get Matsuzaka.

I will totally admit I've been high on Darvish for a while. He's a high-strikeout pitcher, which plays well in the AL East (if the Jays were in fact heavy bidders).

He absolutely could be the next Key Igawa, too. It's high-risk, high-reward to be sure. Regardless of how it turns out, I would definitely WATCH the games to find out.