View Single Post
Old
12-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
I've lost faith in Gauthier in that I'm still not sure he recognizes what we need to build a contender. Gauthier's move seem to all be with a short term view. Plugging this hole or addressing this need. I don't see any BUILDING. Similar to the Gainey philosophy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it ignores the bigger picture in order to maintain the status quo.

I've also lost faith in Martin as well. One consistent with Martin was that this team could milk a lead and score on turnovers. Right now the opposite is happening in that they can't hold a lead at all. I've normally given Martin the benefit of the doubt in roster moves, but I can't help but look at teams like Philly, Boston and Pittsburgh that seem to trust their young players more and feed off their energy. Tonight, even when Montreal pushed the message, it always felt like Philly wanted it more. We had 2 lines that really showed that energy and one of those lines I think saw 4 minutes. Martin is good at implementing his system, but he isn't a good communicator and doesn't adapt on the fly well. There also seems to be a distinct lack of creativity. I'm not saying we don't have to reel some players in, but no one seems to be able to really let loose. That hurts guys like Cammy, Gio and Plekanec who don't have the size to grind it out against top defenders. DD has the benefit of Cole and Patches creating room for him to do his thing.

I think what we REALLY miss is Muller behind the bench. He was that bridge between Martin and the players. We don't have that right now and its pretty noticeable. We need someone like Muller back there, someone that can coach the PP and act as Martin's emotion. Really happy that Muller got the gig in Raleigh, but I miss him behind the bench in Montreal.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 12-15-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote