Thread: Hab size
View Single Post
Old
11-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Grit is much more important than size. However speed would also help for a lack of size. The problem is our forwards are not really big, gritty or fast.

Koivu's quick, but not fast anymore. Bulis, Ward, Hossa, Kilger and Zednik are the only one that have above average speed and/or size. The Devils had a faster team than us which helped and loads of character and determination which doesn't seem to be the case in Montreal seeing how they just collapse when they get scored on.

Also, I beleive that taking out Perreault and Audette of the lineup (trades, buyouts) and replacing them by grit and speed (Plekanec, Higgins) would probably lessen the size factor. Not much bigger, but much faster and grittier.

Of course in the end, size should be added, and we've started with Ward, Ryder, Bulis, Hossa, Kilger, but to me we are softer than smaller if that makes any sense. We lack character and intensity, players refuse to pay the price, go hard to the net, go in the corners, fight for inches of ice, etc. That's what's hurting us the most right now.

I take small players with grit like Koivu over huge floaters any day of the weak. But when you're small, weak (mentally or physically), soft and slow, there's not much to expect from that...