View Single Post
Old
12-16-2011, 11:59 PM
thephillyflu

vCash: 500
Does the Flyers have to PAY Pronger to have him on the LTIR, or could it (in time) be possible for the club and the player to make some kind of severance package semi-illegal agreement so that he could stay on the LTIR and freeing up our cap space without us having to pay him? Down the road, I mean. Because I wonder, how much is $5M in cap space worth in hard cash? Would it be worth having us pay Pronger $1M (random number) for each year he'd stay on the LTIR instead of retiring?
I mean, wasn't it either Rathje or Hatcher who stayed for like 3 years on the LTIR instead of retiring so that he could still get payed and flyers' hands were tied? Note that this is a question, not a statement, since I do not recall if this was even in flyers this happened, but I read something for some time ago about some player not retiring even though his career was shot so that he could get paid. Don't remember the source though, might've just been a blog or a forum so I really don't know, that's why I'm asking, anybody know anything about this?

And I also wonder, with the current union agreement, how much does a player on the long term injury reserve get paid? Is it 50 % of his original salary? 100 %? 75 %? I'm just throwing out numbers, but it can't be a 100 % can it? Doesn't feel like the clubs would accept that. And it couldn't be 0 %, could it, the NHLPA seem way to greedy to accept that. Or is it an insurance matter altogether? I really don't know how these things work in the US and Canada and how it might differ with the really suspect collective agreements pro sports unions seem to have compared to regular jobs' collective agreements.

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked but I haven't been able to google a reliable source about any of these. Please enlighten me, dear hfboarders.

Last edited by thephillyflu: 12-17-2011 at 12:08 AM.
thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote