Thread: Speculation: 2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 3
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Ridley Simon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Remember Asst. Coach Jim Johnson has an image of what he wants his defenseman to be. Quick on their feet, quick thinkers. Obviously Schultz does not fit this bill. Does Gleason? I don't know, but if you look at the Carolina boards, recent comments about Gleason are not very flattering and they peg him as a lower pair defenseman.

Anyway I'm not keen on moving any draft picks in the upcoming draft no matter what. The draft depth is just too deep. I realize that it will take a few years before those picks make it to D.C. hence you fall back to the other option of free agency in the mean time to address the team's needs come the off-season.
well, this is exactly what GMGM and co just stated in WaPo. They want to acquire picks for this draft, not lose them.

If we trade one of ou rd-men (Schultz), it will be for draft picks. I couldnt see us getting much more than a 2nd, if even that. Schultz's removal would open up salary cap space for another forward, hopefully a top 6 aging vet that we could get for a d-man prospect (like McNeill).

One thing Caps have in spades is young d-men. Green, Carslon, Alzner and Orlov are the core, and are all young. We dont have a need for any D prospects. Anything left over can be used to augment the team this year (salary cap allowances withstanding), and can be replenished by this years uber-deep draft.

Perrault is a player that will probably do well once he departs. Think Andrew Brunette.