Thread: Confirmed with Link: Jacques Martin FIRED!
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It's not the first line -- RDS calls it that but that's just not the way the line is used.

OTOH, Martin's entire system lately was built around making DD and his wingers look good, by getting Pleks and Eller to hang on in tough minutes as much as possible so DD can get tons of offensive zone faceoffs and avoid the opposing first lines. In fact, that's the way the Habs were built really -- Plekanec and his first line slightly outplays opposition first line, Gomez and his second line slightly outplays opposition second line -- or either does roughly even, whatever -- and the Habs' depth results a huge mismatch for their third line built around DD, Eller, or both.

Very hard to pull off when your depth goes away, but it was the plan.
I wanted to create a thread about this because it's been bugging me a lot.
It's not just RDS calling DD's line the first anymore. I heard it on TSN 990 as well, pretty much every common fan and most analyst covering the habs are saying that too.
I think it's a huge lack of analysis towards the work of Plekanec. The guy gets criticized for not doing anything and I expect crappy journalism from RDS but TSN 990? That was a shocker to me. Plekanec doesn't get the respect he deserves, it's sad.

Also, Eller gets a lot of flack, and we often hear people say there's no improvement. This kid has improved leaps and bounds since his first game with us, I'm actually very impressed. He has the potential of being one of the best two way centers in the NHL.

I guess I'm just frustrated that all these morons have jobs talking about the habs when they do such a poor job at analyzing situations/players.