View Single Post
Old
12-08-2005, 07:30 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Sorry...I disagree completely with this. Lidstrom is on pace for yet another 60+ point season. He is being criticized a bit on here on a pretty consistent basis for "losing a step" and declining so much, yet he is still in the top 10 in defensive scoring. And he hasnt even come CLOSE to getting on any kind of hot streak. The 19 assists he has is very, very good and once he starts to pot a few more tallies I think people will back off a bit. And he is still as solid as anybody defensively.

That being said...if the Wings want to go after Chara or maybe even Redden, then I can handle it. But again...what is with the Jovo thing? You say he will do the same type of things Lidstrom can? Please...not even close. Ed Jovanovski is not an upgrade over Nicklas Lidstrom. Nick is getting older and makes too much cash. Well...the Wings can take care of one of those problems when they bring him back next year for a much smaller salary. I still can count on 1 hand the guys I would want on the ice instead of Nicklas Lidstrom, and Jovo is not one of them. We should all still feel damn lucky to have him.
Lidstrom's point totals do not reflect his play. He has a lot of assists, but they haven't been the types of assists that you would credit him for - he's not finding guys up the middle for breakaways, he's not making cross-ice passes for empty netters, etc. In fact, I'd bet that at least 5 of his assists are off Schneider PP goals where they were just passing it around until Schneider shot it. Also, Nick's slapper is dead. He doesn't even try it anymore. One of his goals was an empty netter, the other was a flip from the point that floated in. His defense isn't very good anymore either. He still has a great stick but he can't skate with anyone anymore so his positioning is out of whack.

I don't see anyone arguing for giving Jovo a huge contract. I see about 15 guys saying it's a bad idea, and 0 saying they should throw money at him. If they can get him for around 3 mil, then I'd say do it, because he is like Schneider but younger and more physical. But the one they should throw money at is Chara. I like Nick but knowing Holland he'll offer him way more than he should because he's Nick Lidstrom, not because of what he can offer the team on the ice in the future.

Also, for those who think that Lidstrom is better than Chara, look at the numbers - Lidstrom is 35 and his numbers have plummeted in the past 3 seasons. See above for reasons why I think his point pace will tail off rather than increase this season. Chara is 28 and his point totals have increased the past 3 seasons. He also plays in front of the net on the PP, so he would make Homer obsolete, saving more salary for another D man or a power forward.