View Single Post
Old
12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Higgy4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Lidstrom's point totals do not reflect his play. He has a lot of assists, but they haven't been the types of assists that you would credit him for - he's not finding guys up the middle for breakaways, he's not making cross-ice passes for empty netters, etc. In fact, I'd bet that at least 5 of his assists are off Schneider PP goals where they were just passing it around until Schneider shot it. Also, Nick's slapper is dead. He doesn't even try it anymore. One of his goals was an empty netter, the other was a flip from the point that floated in. His defense isn't very good anymore either. He still has a great stick but he can't skate with anyone anymore so his positioning is out of whack.

I don't see anyone arguing for giving Jovo a huge contract. I see about 15 guys saying it's a bad idea, and 0 saying they should throw money at him. If they can get him for around 3 mil, then I'd say do it, because he is like Schneider but younger and more physical. But the one they should throw money at is Chara. I like Nick but knowing Holland he'll offer him way more than he should because he's Nick Lidstrom, not because of what he can offer the team on the ice in the future.

Also, for those who think that Lidstrom is better than Chara, look at the numbers - Lidstrom is 35 and his numbers have plummeted in the past 3 seasons. See above for reasons why I think his point pace will tail off rather than increase this season. Chara is 28 and his point totals have increased the past 3 seasons. He also plays in front of the net on the PP, so he would make Homer obsolete, saving more salary for another D man or a power forward.
Lidstroms last 3 seasons he has had...in order...59, 62 and 38 points. This season he is on pace for exactly 60 points. In fact his point totals for the past 10 years are 67, 57, 59, 57, 73, 71, 59, 62, 38 and a projected 60 this season. Where are the "plumetting" point totals you speak of? I see 1 bad year among 9 other fairly steady years. You are just completely wrong about that. And like I said before, he is on pace for a very quiet 60 points. You know a hot streak is inevitable at some point this year. So, while I can sorta see some of what you are saying, his point totals are not "plumetting" by any means.

Listen...I understand how these things work. Lidstrom is getting older. Lidstrom does make too much money. He isnt the single best defensman in the NHL that he was for the better part of the last decade. But I think all those great years have spoiled most of you. He is still a bonafide #1 defensman in the NHL. Didnt Chris Chelios have a Norris Finalist season at age 38 or something? Lidstrom still has TONS of great hockey left in him. Do I want Zdeno Chara on this team? Hell yeah...who wouldnt. But like everyone has said, Chara will be on 25 other teams wish lists as well. Chances are slim and none that he will be in Detroit next season.

Lidstrom is declining. But it isnt the lead balloon free fall like some of you are talking about. Lidstrom will take a considerable pay cut next year. If the Wings can sign him for 2 years/$8 million, I would take it in a heartbeat. And then go after some less expensive defensive minded guys to round out the D and replace what Fischer brought. Jay McKee was mentioned. I think someone like that would be ideal for the Red Wings.

Again...we are lucky to have Nick Lidstrom and this team is not a playoff team without him. I read other boards on here like the rest of you, and this is the only board that seems to be turning sour on him. Most of the other teams in the league will JUMP at the chance to take Lidstrom from Detroit. And we have people on here who want him gone and replaced by Ed Jovanovski?