View Single Post
Old
12-18-2011, 09:52 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
The Fickle Fate of Jeff Finger

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/18...fate-of-finger

Quote:
Every time Jeff Finger pulls on the Toronto Marlies sweater, he’s hoping for two things — that the team plays well and wins, and that he plays well and a scout from another NHL organization takes notice.

“That’s all I have got right now,” said Finger. “That’s all I really have.”

Finger is having a good season with the Marlies — a plus-five with seven points in 19 games. He also brings a physical element to a team not blessed with a ton of bruising defencemen.

But the Houghton, Mich., native realizes that no matter how well he plays, he’s almost certainly never going to see the inside of the Maple Leafs dressing room again. He realizes that, for the rest of the season, he’ll be taking long bus rides to glamorous bergs such as Peoria and Rockford.

All he can do is play hard every night and when his four-year, $14-million US contract with the Leafs expires at the end of this season, try to hook up with another NHL team.

“I know that they’ve already moved on,” said Finger, when asked about the Leafs. He turns 32 years old today (Sunday), not young in pro hockey years, but believes that he still has enough left in the tank to help a team at the NHL level. The Leafs are blessed with depth and youth on defence, and with a salary that pays him $3.5 million a season, Finger is not going anywhere anytime soon.

He was placed waivers at the beginning of last season and then sent down the Marlies, where he has remained since.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote