View Single Post
Old
12-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Daniel Tolensky of hockeybuzz.com was confused about the signing when he heard Cliff Fletcher and Ron Wilson’s rationale:

“A lot of people in Toronto are asking me, ‘Who the hell is Jeff Finger?’ simply because they haven’t seen him play. But, [former Colorado coach] Joel Quennville told me he was one of the five best defensemen in the Western Conference last year. He played against the best players on every other team. [Leafs’ coach] Ron Wilson told me he was always on the ice in San Jose games against Joe Thornton. Same thing with Jarome Iginla in Calgary, or the Sedin twins [Henrik and Daniel] in Vancouver. Quennville said [Finger] was his best defenseman in the last half of the year.” – Cliff Fletcher

“I’m not BS-ing. He was the most improved defencemen at the end of the year in the Western Conference. He averaged almost 20 minutes [for the season], and in the first 30 games he didn’t play more than 10 in a game.” – Ron Wilson

Tolensky did a little investigating to see whether there was any truth to these quotes. First, he disproved Wilson’s idea that Finger didn’t play more than 10 minutes a game in the first 30 games of the season. In fact, he averaged 18.37 minutes a game during this time, and was under 14 minutes only twice (12:23 and 11:19). I would say that was missing the mark by a lot, Ron Wilson. I wonder what you would’ve said if you were ‘BS-ing’.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16019
Ron Wilson couldn't stop singing his praises in support of bringing in Jeff Finger during the diligence process.

Enough said.

So long Jeff, your time in TO has past. Don't spend all your money in the same place.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote