11-04-2003, 11:11 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I'd do Jagr for Nolan.

I don't think MLSE would, though.
forget MLSE, if a proposal like that came up, I doubt that Ferguson even takes it to MLSE... it doesn't really make much sense for the Leafs to do it.

granted Jagr is still a great player, he doesn't address the real concerns for the Leafs... Mogilny is already there - a scoring right winger to play on your top line... good/great teams aren't the ones that necessarily have the most good/great players, but are the ones that are the most complete teams.

I'd look for a salary dump on a dman, if you need to move Nolan for a salary dump... not sure at all who might be available - but if there are any dman making $6+ mill on teams that aren't likely to be making the playoffs and looking for a shakeup, it'd be a good start.

acquiring Jagr for any team right now though would be a mistake... they'd be locked into his contract for several years after the new CBA... I would imagine that Nolan's value right now is probably even higher than Jagr's just because of the contract.... his value is probably closer to Yashin's - as both have contracts that could really hurt the flexibility of their respective teams.

so who does that leave us with as a good fit for a deal around Nolan??

most teams are going to be out just because of salary... there are few teams that could probably even trade for that contract - and many of those don't need Nolan....

Detroit, Colorado, Dallas*, Rangers, St. Louis*, Flyers...

* teams already either cutting salary, or suggesting they won't be picking up any more...

so then the options aren't many beyond that... Detroit and Colorado have other weaknesses, and don't really need a right winger... the Rangers still have Bure's contract (still$2mill after insurance), and Carter and Kovalev on the right wing... the Flyers wouldn't be taking on Nolan unless they could at least get rid of Leclair (but this could be an interesting swap for both teams)... and the Blues and Stars don't want to add payroll, and don't have much in the way of a salary dump for Nolan.

In the end, I think that Nolan will be finishing his current contract (and maybe his career) as a Leaf.