View Single Post
Old
12-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Avs44
Chicago? Chicago

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
The Sabres have built a strong organization. They have an enthusiastic owner with deep pockets in Terry Pegula. A strong management team led by Ted Black and Darcy Regier. And one of the leagues best coaches in Lindy Ruff. They boast a considerably talented core of players, referred to locally as the
"Rochester core" who took over the leadership of the team after the departure of Danny Briere and Chris Drury. This group includes Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Paul Gaustad, Drew Stafford and Andrej Sekera.

Yet while the Sabres have been a consistent playoff contender since the lockout, they have not been a
true Stanley Cup contender on a year to year basis. This was made definitively clear to me the other week during the Sabres-Bruins game. To me it wasn't Lucic
running Miller. Or the lack of reaction to that hit. It was the demoralization that occured after the fact. The team lost all confidence. Instead of taking that
situation and using it to become angry, aggressive and assertive in their play, they became scared, timid, and sloppy.

I am of the belief that this lack of ability to contend for the Stanley Cup on an annual basis is due to the makeup of the teams core. Whether it is because of a lack of leadership and toughness, or a lack of talent, or issues inside the locker room amongst the players themselves, this team does not, in its current makeup, have what it takes to be a true Stanley Cup
contender.

It is this reason that I am proposing here a partial re-build of the Sabres, in order to make them
a true Stanley Cup contender on an annual basis.

So, I have a list of proposals, slated to take place at the end of
this current season, that I believe will make this club a true contender, and am hoping that you will judge them each on 3 categories.

1. Is said deal acceptable in terms of value?
2. Is this a deal that both sides would be likely to consider, if not accept?
3. Does the deal make the Sabres better?

So... here it goes.

Deal #1:

To Buffalo:

C-Jordan Staal

To Pittsburgh:

LW- Tyler Ennis
RW- Drew Stafford
C- Daniel Catenacci
Buffalo's 2012 1st Round Pick

Why Buffalo does it:
-They gain a young, big, physical
centerman, who has the ability to be a 35-35-70 guy, with annual Selke consideration. He has room to mature, he's in his 6th full NHL season, and only recently turned
23years old.

Why Pittsburgh does it:
-The Penguins have been getting particularly stellar play out of Staal
and James Neal. Neal is up for a new contract at the end of the current season. Pittsburgh will also be looking to extend both Crosby and Staal, who have one
more year on their contracts after the 2011-2012 season. Staal, if he continues his current play, will likely be looking for a bump in pay,
and maybe a place where is he is more than a third line center (I know he is more than that to the team, but maybe he will want to challenge himself to go to a place where he can be "the guy"). These events may prompt Shero
to be open to offers for Staal. This one provides the Penguins with two players who can give the Penguins two top lines, with Stafford capable of 30-30-60
seasons, and Ennis having the potential to be ppg player, but realistically a 65-75pt player. Daniel Catenacci is a guy who could develop into a very nice, stingy 3rd line center. He's undersized but has great speed
and I think would work well in Pittsburgh's system.
A 1st round pick is a first round pick, probably mid to late first round, but it adds a prospect into the organization that will eventually be a talented player on an ELC,
giving the Penguins cheap talent to support their superstars.

So here's how Pittsburgh's roster could look after such a deal...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Tyler Ennis ($2.000m) / Sidney
Crosby ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Tyler Kennedy
($2.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Arron Asham ($0.775m)

DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Zbynek
Michalek ($4.000m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.566m) / Matt Niskanen ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow
@capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,366,667;
BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $933,333

Deal 2:

To Buffalo:

C-Paul Stastny
G-Semyon Varlamov
D-Erik Johnson

To Colorado:

C-Derek Roy
G-Ryan Miller
RW-Corey Tropp

Why Buffalo does it:

Sabres gain a new top-6 center in
Stastny, who is more of a playmaker than Roy, younger. While more expensive, Stastny, at 25 years of age, still has 85-90 point upside if he can find his groove. Varlamov might not have
the resume Miller does, but he's young and talented. He would form a nice combination with Enroth that would keep both guys hungry for playing time. Erik
Johnson adds a big guy, strong shot, and another right-handed shot on the back end.

Why Colorado does it:

Stastny's production the past couple seasons in Colorado has
slipped, and he may be in need of a change of scenery. Roy gives them an answer to that loss. Miller gives them the type of goaltending
that the Avs haven't had since Roy, and while Miller isn't Roy, he is an elite goaltender in the league right now, and with a young group
of forwards and defensemen, sometimes that is one of the best ways to allow the young guys to play well as they will have more confidence, and therefore less worries in their netminder. They
lose Johnson, but he has been underperforming the past two seasons and into this year. And with the amount of young
defensemen they have in the system, he will be expendable. Tropp gives Colorado a strong, physical, youngster who could be a 3rd line guy for them by next season, and isn't afraid to play
hard along the boards at all.

Colorado's new roster (I admit I'm not familiar with all their players, so I didn't adjust cap space for re-
signings and the depth chart might be a bit off):

FORWARDS
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Matt Duchene ($3.200m) / Milan
Hejduk ($3.000m)
Joey Hishon ($1.200m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / David Jones ($2.500m)
Daniel Winnik ($0.950m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($0.900m) / Peter Mueller ($2.000m)
Cody McLeod ($1.033m) / T.J.
Galiardi ($0.700m) / Chuck Kobasew ($1.250m)
/ Jay McClement ($1.450m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kyle Quincey ($3.125m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($1.800m)
Shane O'Brien ($1.100m) / Jan Hejda ($3.250m)
Duncan Siemens ($1.350m) / Ryan Wilson ($1.275m)
Stefan Elliott ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jean-
Sebastien Giguere ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without
the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $46,058,333; BONUSES: $3,435,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):
$18,241,667

and lastly, here's how the Sabres would look after such deals...

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Paul
Stastny ($6.600m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Brad Boyes ($2.000m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.433m) / Luke Adam ($0.875m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m)

DEFENSEMEN
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Erik Johnson ($2.600m)
/ Mike Weber ($0.950m)

GOALTENDERS
Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m) / Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,457,023;
BONUSES: $87,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $842,977

*Could see Hecht being re-signed as well as, or instead of Boyes, so there's that as well. And don't forget, they'll still have Foligno in the AHL, Sundher likely there next
season and Armia likely to come over at the end of this season or next season.

Idk if this all works. Maybe take
Johnson out from the Colorado proposal, we really don't need him or anything, just thought it'd be a nice bonus if we could get him. Also, I posted the Staal proposal
on the Pittsburgh boards, it was about 70-30 against it, but I felt like a lot of Pittsburgh fans weren't taking their teams cap implications into account (with Crosby, Malkin
and Staal likely to eventually take up about 1/3 of their cap space or more, $23M-$24M).

Flame away folks!!!!

And no, I don't expect anything like this to happen, but wouldn't it be cool?
Avs fan here, sorry to crash your boards but I'm bored

Anyways, I can guarentee we'd hang up on this proposal. We paid a kings ransom for Varlemov, were not moving him unless you feel like doing the same. Were a young team, we cam afford to wait a couple of years, so we don't need Miller. On top of that, if we move Stastny it's for wingers/defensman, not another center because we'd be fine with Duchene and O'Reilly. And then you added EJ which is awful because our D is crap without him. Also our roster is pretty much guaranteed worst in the league after this, which is great because we dint have our 1st rounder. I know you dint know about our players but just to clear a few things up...
• just came off a concussion. He
can't make our team, let alone
make the top 6
•Mueller's career is done
•O'Byrne is a #6-5 D-man. I'm scared if he's on the top pairing.
•Siemens isn't NHL ready.

This deal makes the Avs way worse both now and in the future. Think about what it does to the other team rather than just yours. I commend the person who proposed Armia+Stattford+Sekera. That's what it would take, anything less and don't bother asking for Stastny.