Old
12-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Recast

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Recast
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
What is it with hot head beer leaguers and parking lots

I have had a similar experience as the OP when I was 18. I wasn't very good at this time, but neither were most of the guys I played with. I was the most inexperienced on the team, and the youngest by far. I played defense for our team, and every time I made a mistake I heard about it from our second best player. Every time. His criticism was never constructive. One time, I made a bad play that impacted a game that we ended up losing. The guy was being such a dick in the parking lot. it almost turned me off to playing all together. "Nice play Bobby Orr" etc.

Thankfully the only guy on our team that was head and shoulder better than the perpetrator overheard and came over. I wont forget the service he did for me. He looked the guy in the eye and said "shut the **** up and keep your temper in check or don't bother showing up to the rink"

The next game I had the best game of my career to that point. Scored 2 goals off slapshots from the point (both weak goals from a goalie standpoint, but I'll take it anyday ) The guy who gave me a hard time eased up, and surprise, I played better without him harking over my every mistake. I owe a lot to the guy that had my back that day... Or I probably wouldn't be playing today a decade later.

OP, I understand that my situation won't help you remedy yours, but the point of my post is for the rest of the people reading this thread. When you see a beginner getting into it with a parking lot tough guy, or just a ****** teammate in general, stand up for him. It really means a lot.
I was in a situation just like that. I'd make a mistake and the guy would harp and ***** non-stop, then he would go out and do exactly what he would always tell me not to do. The difference with my situation is that the rest of the players on the team were his friends and NO ONE ever said anything to me. My confidence in everything went into the toilet. I was afraid to make a pass, take a shot, or pretty much do anything else. I'd get the puck and immediately either dump it off the glass/boards (I played D) or look for someone to pass to. It got to the point where I just stopped showing up for them. The next year I joined a different team as a forward and lit the place up (mind you, this was C division rec league but still, I was top 3 or something in scoring). Played amazing for the new team and in the summer I made the big mistake of going back to that team with the dbag on it. That dbag wasn't on the team anymore but everyone else was and I immediately sunk into my old habits.

I'm on an amazing team now where everyone is great. There really isn't a moral to my story but it's mainly just to say that sometimes there isn't that guy that stands up for the "lesser player". If you're not the lesser player and you see some of that crap going on, be THAT guy. It will mean a lot and you never know, maybe he's a better player than you think and he just needs some encouragement and teaching.

Recast is offline   Reply With Quote