View Single Post
Old
12-08-2005, 06:06 PM
jeffreyaa

vCash: 500
Some interesting info/quotes: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shown...ntent=h120819A

"The Americans are down to 26 skaters and four goalies. "We have about six guys on the bubble right now," the U.S. general manager said Thursday. "We're going to see all those guys one more time here in the next 10 days. For the most part, we're getting real close but yet we need to make some decisions on those last few spots both up front and on defence.""

"The U.S. roster will be unveiled Monday, Dec. 19, in St. Paul, Minn., during the OLN telecast featuring the Wild and Dallas Stars.

Rick DiPietro of the New York Islanders will likely be the starting netminder for Peter Laviolette's team in Turin. Ryan Miller of the Buffalo Sabres, Robert Esche of the Philadelphia Flyers and the hard-charging John Grahame of the Tampa Bay Lightning are battling it out for the final two spots. Both Miller and Esche are recovering from injuries.

Edmonton Oilers goalie Ty Conklin, who backstopped the U.S. to a surprising bronze medal at the 2004 IIHF world championship in Prague, has been out for most of the season with a groin injury and is no longer in the mix.

Veteran Jeremy Roenick, meanwhile, has publicly campaigned to be named to the Olympic team.

"I better be," the Kings centre told the Los Angeles Times. "It would be a travesty if I'm not. I know they want a youth movement, and they need to have one, but it'd be disrespectful of the guys who have gotten Team USA to this point internationally."

Waddell has heard what J.R. had to say.

"I can appreciate guys wanting to be on this team, obviously it's an honour to be part of USA Hockey and the Olympic team," Waddell said. "But our goal has got to be putting the best possible team together, a team that can compete to win the gold medal.

"It's a different era right now for a couple of reasons," continued Waddell. "One is that we didn't play hockey last year. And some players, the year off might have hurt them more than other players."

Read into that what you will, but it doesn't sound like the 35-year-old Roenick - who had only 11 points in 26 games before Thursday's date with Carolina - will be on the team.

"The other factor is that since the 2002 Olympics we've had a lot of good players step forward," Waddell said. "Everybody is talking about how young our team will be, we're going to have a lot of new faces but some young players aren't ready for this team yet.""