View Single Post
Old
12-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Not that I'm suggesting that Dean Lombardi and his staff draft poorly, but their preference to go for character over talent is evident to me.

The one selection that will irk me to no end is the drafting of Trevor Lewis ahead of Claude Giroux in 2006. You know Lombardi and his staff would never make that pick for a couple of reasons, one being that Giroux played in the QMJHL. Secondly because he was always considered a finesse player. It also doesn't help that Chris Stewart was selected right after the Kings picked Trevor Lewis.

Lewis was also an overage pick who had been passed over the year prior. He was never considered a prospect with high upside, but just a solid prospect who would be an NHL player, at best a third line checking forward. In the second round of that very same draft the Kings selected Joey Ryan. Two picks later, the Bruins picked up Milan Lucic.

I know, hindsight helps my argument, but just look at how Boston established itself and their future with just this draft alone. They get Kessel in the first round, who is later moved to acquire Tyler Seguin. They nab Lucic in the second round, and in the third round, they draft Brad Marchand. Drafts like that setup the future success of your franchise, and this draft pretty much helped Boston become the team that they are today.

This strategy makes me wonder, are they truly basing their picks on best player available, or are they simply drafting the best character player available? Look up and down this roster and even in the pipeline and identify who could possibly emerge as the next Patrick Sharp or Loui Eriksson or Jamie Benn or Ryan Callahan. There is one prospect who may fit into that category, Tyler Toffoli. Other than him, this organization is nary on skill.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote