View Single Post
Old
12-19-2011, 12:13 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I like Eller, don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that the premise of the article is false.
The premise of the article is the new coach has plans. The lead of the article says Eller smiled when asked about his icetime.

Quote:
The extra 2 seconds made him smile in jubilation? After blowing a 3rd period lead again and being on the ice for 3 goals? I sure hope he wasn't grinning after that.
The article reads "No, Eller was not pleased that his Canadiens blew yet another lead at home in Saturday night's 5-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils." That seems clear.

Quote:
And I suspect that given the "quality" of the report he may have grinned and the person who wrote this assumed a bunch of things without looking them up.
He's a fairly respected writer commenting on the new coach's plans, uses a youngster's grin in the lead. Simply, the article is about a young player and a new coach and new plans. It isn't really about the old coach, except in the sense that the new coach has new plans: giving kids a chance, emphasizing roles and chemistry, and shunning negative reinforcement. These seem pretty good goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I was more referring to this passage: "Forward lines would change mid-game on a regular basis". Martin would make these in-game adjustments, and really, he won a few games because of them.
Hard to establish causality he may have won a few and lost a few as well. Many were critical of his breaking up lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I like Arpon. One of the most reasonable media folks there are. I think his contrasting of Cunneyworth with Martin is a bit off, however, I think he may be dramatizing for effect.

And while a piece like this has to be written positively, one could easily rephrase it it as "devaluing experience, emphasizing rigid roles, and deemphasizing accountability". It's all a balancing act. I hope Randy finds the right balance.

Or "devaluing entitlement, emphasizing chemistry, and deemphasizing punishment". Depends how you look at it. I don't buy the "accountability" argument the responsibility seemed weighted toward punishment, of rookies, for rookie mistakes -- which IMHO set players up for fear-of-failure mindsets. Now at least one rookie is smiling that's good enough for me.

Agree he's dramatizing but you know, this is the biggest story in Montreal this week! lol

Go Habs Go !!!