View Single Post
Old
12-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Agent007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Why would Nashville not match a lowball offer? I would rather have one more season with Weber than some measly 2nd/3rd round picks. For one, they'd get one more season to convince Shea to stay. Even if the odds are stacked against them doing so, it's worth a shot, imo.

If I were the Canucks though, I'd make every effort to bring Shea to vancouver this off-season. You just never know what can happen in one seasons' time.
The reason why Nashville wouldn't match the offer sheet is because they wouldn't be able to trade him and risk the possibility of Weber walking away on July 1st 2013 as an UFA while getting nothing in return.

The Weber decision has to be made by July 1st 2012. At the very least Nashville has to sign him to a one year deal and take their chances during the season with the possibility of being able to trade him before the deadline or even possibly at the draft.

If I had to guess I would say nothing gets done until the draft. At that point they'll know if he's willing to sign an extension with Nashville and if he's not then I think they move him.

The question at that point will be what is a team willing to pay for at least one year of Weber.

I think Vancouver has the potential to make a VERY competitive offer.

We could package something along the lines of Raymond (top six forward), Hodgson (top six forward), Schneider (or whatever asset we get in return for Schneider) and a 1st round draft pick (with another conditional 1st round pick if Weber re-signs in Vancouver).

Let's just imagine for a second that Schneider gets traded to Columbus for Johansson (for example).

You then package Johansson with Raymond and Hodgson plus two 1st round draft picks and you've got yourself an unbelievable offer.

How many other teams in the league can potentially offer THREE top six forwards plus 1st round draft picks for Weber??

The real interesting thing about that deal is that you're only taking away two top nine forwards from our current group and you have something that looks like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
LW3-C3-Hansen
Weise-Malhotra-Lappy

Edler-Weber
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev

Luongo
Lack

-Ballard would need to get moved in order to create some cap space

At the end of the day you've still got a very strong team and Nashville get's a really good return.

Now it's entirely possible that a team like Philly offers a package around Schenn which makes things interesting because Nashville may have a certain player in mind that they are very interested in and if they get that player then it'll be tough for Vancouver to match that offer.

So it'll be real interesting to see how things unfold but there's no doubt in my mind that if Nashville puts Weber on the market Vancouver will make a VERY competitive offer one that most people around here likely won't be a huge fan of. However a guy like Weber would absolutely complete our defence and it's pretty safe to say he'd complete our team and make us a cup contender for at least another 3-5 years.