View Single Post
Old
12-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I was reading '08 scouting reports and saw this. Bolded is the interesting part.
6. Michael Del Zotto (5’11”, 211 lbs. Born: June 24, 1990, Shoots: L)

Rankings: Central Scouting #15 North American (#8 defenseman), ISS #17 overall (#7 defenseman), THN #15 overall (#7 defenseman), McKeen’s #28 overall (#8 defenseman), Redline NR.

Del Zotto is the designated whipping boy in this year’s draft – a preseason consensus top-10 draft pick about whom many scouts soured quickly.

“He’s going to be the top scoring defenseman someday – in the AHL,” one Eastern Conference scout groused. “Fans will wonder why this guy isn’t called up, but any hockey person will know why. He’s one dimensional, and I don’t even know if he skates well enough to be a big offensive guy in the NHL. Defensively, he’s a nightmare. He turns over pucks and he can’t cover. There are a lot of guys I’d draft before him.”

Nevertheless, there is still a significant contingent who believes that Del Zotto has huge offensive upside and will develop into at least an adequate player in his own zone.

“He’s got skills with the puck you just can’t teach, and a tremendous shot,” wrote another Eastern scout. “There are other areas where he needs work, but I think he’ll get there. I thought he got better as the year went along, but he got off to a bad start and had some rough nights when there were a lot of us watching him. There were other nights where he was took over games with the puck on his stick. I honestly don’t think he’s all that far off where he needs to be.”

From my own point of view, I’d rather swing for the fences and miss with Del Zotto than make a conservative pick on a player with half his upside. How many true powerplay trigger man prospects are there? Not many.

A defenseman who averages a point per game (63 points in 64 regular season games), scores 16 goals as a 17-year-old and puts on the sort of shooting display Del Zotto did at the Top Prospects Skills Competition (breaking all four targets in four shots) deserves a long look once you move past the slam-dunk defensemen at the head of the class.

What happened with regards to his shot? That has really been his only weak point this year.
Boy, looks like that scouting report is dead on! Del Zotto can shoot the puck but has been very hesitant to do so this year preferring to make plays instead. As a result, his accuracy has been off but I wouldn't worry about that part of his game right now.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote