View Single Post
Old
12-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hey I agree he hasn't been great. He's been good enough for the Flyers to be sitting atop the East. Can't really complain too much about that. And my biggest beef (no pun intended) is just that after being on this forum for a while now, it seems that nearly every goal that is given up is "OMG he has to save that!" Lucky deflection, defensive breakdown, great offensive move are all scrutinized and Bryz (or other goalie) is murdered for it just as bad as goals that are his (or other goalies) fault. It's just funny to see people complain about the goalie no matter what the situation is. Judging by those posts, it does seem that you do expect perfection. I mean, just go look at the GDTs. I'd wager that 90% of posts after a goal are all "OMG bench this guy he sucks he should have had that!" If you complain about all the goals, how are you not demanding perfection?

I am fully anticipating the day, hopefully this year, when the Flyers win the Cup and people are complaining and saying they won it in spite of the goalie and in spite of the bad defenders, and in spite of the GM that put the team together and still complaining that Jody Shelley is ruining this team's chances and so is Bryz's albatross of a contract while he is passing the Cup to his teammates.
In terms of save percentage, you could pick almost any other starter in the league and we'd still probably be atop the league. We could have a cutout in goal and still be top of the league. We're not winning games because of goaltending or goals against, we're winning games because we have the sixth best goal differential in the league and the very best goals for record. So saying "well we're winning with him" doesn't mean much and the stats prove that in this case.

Fact of the matter is that he has one of the most expensive goalie contracts out there and he's nowhere near earning it yet. That signing was considered by some to be a negative thing at the time and now it's starting to seem like they were right.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote