View Single Post
Old
12-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If your skates fit properly it's likely the radius. Having them profiled from 11' to 9' or from 9' to 7' takes material off the toe and heel allowing you to take tighter turns at the expense of possibly some top end speed.

Did you recently get new skates? What kind?
I'll definitely consider that next time I go into the skate shop. Yea, I got new skates in September, they're Bauer One 100's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
How much over 1 cm? Just measured my skates, they reasonably new and still have tonnes of steel left, and the blades go about 1.3 cm sticking out the bottom of the holder. What brand/make of skates do you wear, what size are your skates, and what size shoes do you wear? It sounds like you have a decent amount of steel, that's almost certainly not the problem, but if your skates fit poorly that'll really hold your skating back in pretty much all regards, including turning.

If your skates fit decently, I'd be 99% sure that your main problem is simply technique, not equipment. Simply put, you probably need to improve your edgework, especially your outside edges, which are weak for a lot of skaters. These drills are GREAT for improving your edgework, especially the scissor skating drill:

Master these drills in the order they're presented, except for the 1-footed skating drill, I'd leave that one until last, as it's fairly difficult.
It was about 1.2 cm from the holder. I wear size 9 skates and I wear size 11 shoes. When I bought the skates I got this insol that pushed my toes back and my skates fit very nicely so I don't think that's the problem.

I've been playing for 17 years now and I've never really had much of a problem with staying on my feet aside from the past two years now but I'll definitely look into these drills as well as the radius.

Appreciate the help!

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote