View Single Post
Old
12-21-2011, 08:55 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
But not his philosophy in developing them...

Chances are had Taylor taken Bernier in the 1st round, Quick gets traded and Bernier gets rushed to the NHL.
Or worse, he ruins both.

I love how everyone heaps Quick and to some extent Bernier onto DT's plate when really, all he did was draft them. Neither played a professional game under DT's team and I don't even know if Quick made it past the rookie camp before DT was let go.

DT was outspoken about not drafting a goalie in the first round because you can get goalies in later rounds as well. While I do understand where he was coming from, in his time with LA, DT only drafted and developed one goalie who would go on to be an NHL regular for at least a few seasons, and that was Christobel Huet. It should be noted Huet was only a backup in LA and never really emerged until traded to Montreal (for Mathieu Garon no less), and it should also be noted that the only reason LA drafted Huet is because of the rules at the time about Europeans needing to be drafted before they could come to the NHL. If Huet was around today, odds are he would have been snapped up as a UFA prospect well before he was drafted.

I'm not meaning to rain on DT's parade, or try and give DL some bump, but DT's goalie track record was brutal and the philosophy behind it made no sense.