View Single Post
Old
12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Randy Cunneyworth: a breath of fresh air

It's only been two games and he finally was able to have a full practice with his "interim" team. But already, we can see the difference between Martin's system and what Cunneyworth is trying to implement.

First, we can notice that he preaches a much stronger forecheck with better support for the puck carrier to generate offense and scoring opportunities, which will suit a fast so much more than the passive and laid back style of Martin.

Also, it has been extremely noticeable that he wants his defensemen to be more active in supporting the offense, at least those who can do it. I don't know how many times already we've seen Kaberle, Subban, Campoli, Diaz getting deep into the attacking zone while a forward stayed back. This reminds me a lot of Alain Vigneault's new system since Mike Gillis took over as GM in Vancouver.

Of course, such aggressive forechek will, from time to time, create some odd man rushes the other way but with one of the best goalies in the NHL in net, it's a gamble I'm more than willing to work with. Also, more skating also means rotating four lines to keep everyone fresh, as it was painfully obvious that under Martin's three line system, they were running out of juice in the third period.

I can't wait to see Cunneyworth's team in a few weeks, with some quality practice time under their belt.

For those you can read French, here's a great article by Marc Antoine Godin, with comments from the players supporting what I'm advancing here.