View Single Post
Old
12-22-2011, 03:40 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Pekka Rinne was a 7.0C at one point. I specifically remember the phrase "his window is closing."

Har har, HF.
To follow up my own post (and because I really want to rub this in), Rinne was actually a 6.0 C prospect.

As for the rankings themselves, I vehemently disagree with putting Latta ahead of Smith. Latta's AHL production is nice, but his scoring upside doesn't match Smith's. Smith has outstanding vision and puck skills that you simply cannot teach. I also disagree with the placement of Budish, who has lost two years of his development and been bypassed on the depth chart at Minnesota by several underclassmen. He has a lot left to prove. Geoffrion also should not be in the top ten. He has been projected as a productive third line player for most of his development curve, and this year has taken a serious step backwards. That doesn't strike me as a top ten prospect in many organizations, with the noted exception of Calgary, who never seem to have grasped the concept behind the draft.

I also would not have put Pickard in the top 20 at all, and probably not Roussel, either, certainly not ahead of Hellberg and Ekholm. Ekholm is the TOI leader for the #3 team in the Elitserien and might see his first WC duty with Sweden this spring, where Roussel is a mediocre over-ager in the Q. Ekholm has shown far more potential to this point and even got a taste of the NHL when Roussel couldn't even get himself an AHL job. That's pretty telling for a player's status within the organization. Pickard has been so utterly horrendous that he might not even get qualified this summer, and Hellberg is splitting starts on a mid-table Elitserien club and holding his own. He's only 22, but Pickard's upside has pretty much evaporated, where Hellberg is still developing and just now starting to hit his groove at 20.

Nashville has really done an incredible job of scouting Sweden. Hornqvist could almost be attributed to dumb luck as much as talent evaluation, but when a team has a group of prospects like Ekholm, Lindback, Hellberg, Cehlin, and Karlsson, that's a bang-up job of scouting. I would assume Janne Kekalainen is due a good chunk of the credit for that.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote