View Single Post
Old
12-22-2011, 08:50 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Seriously, say what you want, he might have whined a lot, he might have "been a cancer in the locker room", he might have been the reason Souray (and Ribeiro?) had to go... he's the only (talented) guy in the last 20 years who I REALLY felt would leave it all on the ice for the Habs, he would have died on the ice to win... Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Markov, Plekanec... of course they all have/had qualities, but they just don't care as much... Koivu was facing cameras day in and day out, even when playing with Brian "October" Savage and Martin Rucinsky as our 1st line, with Yannick Perreault as 2nd line C and Joe "6 goals/year" as 3rd liner...

I loved Koivu. No, he does not deserve his jersey to be retired. But he should have retired here. I want him back.
There are guys who accomplished far less with the Canadiens and have had their jerseys retired. I'm not promoting the idea because I hate retiring jerseys but I do think he deserves some kind of special recognition.

While Houle's trade of Roy ranks among the worst in history and he deserves criticism for that, Gainey's blunder with Koivu ranks right up there. It was horrible. At least Houle managed to get a little bit in return. Gainey got nothing.

Having said that, Koivu can no longer help us. His best days are behind him and he isn't what we need at this point.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote