View Single Post
Old
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think the flaw in your breakdown above is you're putting Grabner and Ryan at equal value. Yes, they both scored over 30 goals last season, but anyone who has watched either player could see Ryan is the superior player. He's a better passer, he's more physical, he's better at creating offense, and he's a better pure scorer (Grabner creates so many chances with his speed, but his actual finishing ability is average). So in effect, the reason the Isles would be adding a 1st is to offset Ryan's superiority to Grabner.

Now, the debate whether Ryan is worth Grabner + a high 1st is another topic altogether. But I'm just pointing out why that 1st is added there in the first place.
I would deal Grabner and a #1 pick for Ryan...but not this year. I think the NYI will have a top two pick and those are two franchise Russians.

Ryan is far superior to Grabner for the reasons you mentioned.

More importantly, Ryan alone does not make the NYI better. Not unless they manage to get another C another winger and two more defensemen (leaving the goaltending alone for my own sanity)

Until we have commitment at that level, there's no point in getting a player like Ryan.

The Isles, if all goes well, will have prob $35MM in cap space next year though. Yes, the equivalent of 7 $5MM/yr players. Cap teams would KILL to have a core of Tavares, Okposo, Moulson, Streit, Hamonic, deHaan, Niederreiter, Strome, Bailey, MacDonald, Nielsen AND ANOTHER $30+++!!!!

Too bad we're not a cap team.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote