View Single Post
Old
11-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
You're neglecting to mention a big personnel difference though. Under "Team A," the players are generally veteran cast offs with a developed game and a hunger to make it to the big league after a decade of riding the buses in the AHL.

"Team B," is teams like NY and Montreal, where it's a bunch of one dimensional players thrown together, having shared former offensive 'glory' (to ane xtent) in the past.

Different players, different results. As much as I respect Lemaire, I'd say it has more to do with the players than the coaches. Even Lemaire couldn't turn around this team (IMO).
Minnesota, Nashville and Columbus all offer a more exciting brand of hockey than Montreal currently does.

I'm not talking about wins or losses, but the effort on the ice. Certainly respect starts from the coaching staff, and branches out. I'm not certain many players are happy playing this brutal defensive style, particularily the ones with a nose for offence.

In today's NHL, a good defensive player gets a pat on the back, and not the big bucks. You tell me where you want to play? In a system that will probably keep your stats, and salary, bottomed out.. or in a system that allows players to generate offence.

Sure, defence can win the games, if you can score the goals. This team is playing the wrong style, with the wrong players. Zednick, Bulis... the youngsters.. they gotta be set loose.

Is it Julien's fault? I don't know, I'm not behind the scenes. Did Gainey tell him to play this way?

The first 6 games, teams hadn't identified our system, and it was good for the Habs. Now every team has our gameplan down to a science, and its easy to penetrate.

I really don't think its a coincidence we started losing when we did.