Old
12-23-2011, 03:10 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesko View Post
The Night I'll Never Forget

I've had the 17th of December in my mind for a long time now, ever since summer. I didn't need a calendar to remember it. I knew that it would be a very important day in my carreer, the day when I finally could say to the city of Winnipeg and it's great people: THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!

Four amazing years were ended with a bitter phone call, and the next day i found myself literally flying to the Ducks and towards new challenges. During those four years an unbelievable bond formed between me and the fans. They made me feel so important, so special. During the games, they gave me so much energy that I felt that we had an extra player on the ice. I never got the chance to say goodbye to the fans, and neither did they.

Last saturday it was all made right, and in what way! It's hard to put to words the feelings I experienced during the 20 hour visit. The most eager fans were waiting outside the hotel at 3am, and the press conference filled the ballroom with reporters. It felt like everyone had their own story they wanted to tell and thanks they wanted to give.

I felt during the warmup that this would be a night to remember. I almost wished that this game would never end. What made the experience even more special, was that my mother and my family was there to share it with me. My boys were slack-jawed the whole game, wondering if this is real. They saw first hand what the Canadian passion and respect for hockey is. On Monday at the airport checkin, a waiter holding a platter with jelly rolls ran out from the restaurant to say good bye to me and my family, she (or he) was very emotional and said that, "The game last Saturday was THE BEST hockey event ever, I mean ever. I was crying from the national anthems till the final horn of the first period. Thank you for returning home!".

In the after game press conference the final question allowed me to say to the city and it's people everything that I couldn't from the ice. A local reported asked me if there's anything left I'd like to say. One thing was enough: Thank you!

Even though our season has been a nightmare, the visit to Helsinki at the start of the season and the trip to Winnipeg alone have made this season for me! I'm so VERY grateful for these experiences!

It feels like two huge circles have been closed. I got to say goodbye to two so very important places in my career.

A merry and peaceful Christmas to everybody!

ending your historic career on a awful team

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote