View Single Post
Old
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Jagr helped bring this team back to respectability and for that I will be grateful. That 7 year playoff drought could have been longer if not for him.

Anyway, here's an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the circumstances surrounding Jagr's departure in NY:

Quote:
Jagr had signed a seven-year, $77-million deal with Washington in 2001, and as a condition of his trade to the Rangers, the Capitals had agreed to pick up a substantial portion of his salary. Rangers general manager Glen Sather, however, had been reluctant to negotiate a new contract for Jagr during the season, according to a person familiar with the organization's thinking, and as the team's leading scorer and marquee performer, Jagr took the front office's inaction as a small insult.

"I didn't feel like I was part of wherever they wanted to go," he said.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...352285376.html

The Drury and Gomez signings was the beginning of the end for Jagr. Slats was willing to negotiate a contract extensions with Tyutin and Girardi that season, and Straka, Hollwegg, Orr, etc. during the season before, but not our leading points scorer and captain. I can't blame Jags for feeling a bit slighted.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote