Thread: Ben Eager
View Single Post
Old
12-12-2005, 12:10 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Absolutely he does. He's been healthy and producing. What's so hard to understand about that? Same with Carter. He's been healthy and producing. Yet, these two kids only get 11 (Carter) and 13 (Umberger) minutes of ice time a game. Sami comes back from being away for months and immediately he gets 17+ minutes of ice time. What's to justify that? He's a veteran? Big deal. He can't score if his life depended on it. What offensive ability he had, it left him four years ago when he was with Carolina.

Here we have two crown jewels of our system, and we can't justify giving them ice time. Yet, Branko and Sami get more minutes on the ice than they do. We could be steam rolling the competition, yet we can barely scrape by teams in the NHL that are nothing more than over glorified AHL teams. It's sad watching this. If Carter and Umberger were anywhere else in the NHL, they would get more ice time because their play has warranted it. Yet, because they're in Philadelphia, they get less ice time because they aren't veterans. It's a joke. As a fan who always goes to Philadelphia and spends several hundred dollars on hotels, games, merchandise, etc....I was really looking forward to seeing Carter and Umberger really dominate. Instead, by the time I get to see my Flyers in March, I'm pretty sure Carter and Umberger will be banished to the press box so the Flyers can make ice time for Primeau.
I am beginning to think Kapanen kicked your dog or something! What is your deal with him? Kapanen is one of the leaders of this this team like it or not! He, like Handzus gets the ice time due to playing in so many situations and they are both relied on by Hitch. His offenseive numbers are already approx. on pace with Carter and Richards in a few games back from injury and better than Umberger. Carter and Umberger are rookies and need to adjust to the NHL. Unless your name is Crosby or Ovechkin, it takes an adjustment period to make it in the NHL and you cant expect them to come in and carry a team that is expected to make noise in the playoffs. Dont forget, Joe Thorton played on the 4th line his first year in the league, and mostly the 3rd in his 2nd. Didnt seem to hurt his development.

If you think giving Umberger and Carter a couple more minutes of ice time would mean steamrolling the competition, I think you are watching different hockey then some of us.

Besides, other than 3-4 players, everyone else stays pretty close in ice time, that is how Hitch has always run his teams. I find it hard to believe that Rado is getting much more than the rookies. If he is, it is only recently cause he was playing very little for a while there.