D Dennis Seidenberg

- Number 2 in ice time for a Stanley Cup Champion
- 157 points in 488 games

D Mats Waltin

1976 World Championship All-Star
1976 Guldpucken

Long Beach Press Telegram:
Quote:
“I tell the team we need to play Mats Waltin hockey,” Andy Murray said.
What’s that again?
“I was a rookie coach in Switzerland and Mats Waltin was one of my players,” Murray explained. “We would have a lead and I would be on the bench yelling, ‘Get it in, shoot it in (the zone), don’t let them get it.” Finally Mats Waltin turned to me and said, ‘Coach, just relax. Isn’t it better if we just keep the puck and don’t give it to them?”
“So that’s the key, is to have the puck and continue attacking.”
IIHF
Quote:
After searching available candidates, the federation picked Mats Waltin, a former star defenseman for Djurgarden Stockholm and the Swedish national team in the late 1970s. He is among the all-time great Swedish national team players with 236 national team games, placing Waltin sixth among all Swedish players.
From HFBoards thread "All Time Olympic Teams"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx
Lidström - Salming
Stoltz - Svedberg
Eldebrink - Waltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Ah, just saw a couple of old games with Mats Waltin playing; what a terrific skater he was! With those skating skills, he could have probably been more of an offensive force than he actually was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Yes, but he wasn't egoistic. That was his "problem". He was a true teamplayer and played by the roll and system the coach had him in.
D Bert-Ola Nordlander

1967 Guldpucken
6x Swedish All-Star

www.AIK.se (translated):
Quote:
Bert-Ola was an elegant on the ice. Skilful skating and perfect sense in the club was mated with a fighter's heart. His shot from the blue line was not those that went right through opponents, but they were always directed towards the target, where it often was a teammate and steered the puck.
www.dubbeltallen.se (translated):
Quote:
Bert-Ola was a defensive monster like no other. During his long career he played including four Olympic games. World Championship gold, he took in Colorado Springs 1962nd He was born in 1938 and played in Wifsta / Östrand seasons 1953-63. 1957 he became "the year's best athlete" in Timrå NS.

The age of 15 he played his first A-lagsmatch in W / Z. There he remained for 10 years and then left Timrå to play in the AIK 1963-1973. Spring 1999 was hoisted Bert-Ola AIK-shirt in the Globe. Together with Leif "Honken" Holmqvist, Roland Stoltz, Lasse Bjorn and Sven Tumba, he has been named one of Stockholm's top five players of all time.

He was a hot guy who could sometimes angry at properly. When he was visiting Timrå once dressed AIK-link happened to this: A home supporters teased and harassed AIK players during the match. Then jumped Bert-Ola up in the stands and began fighting with supporters. Afterwards, said Bert-Ola that patience defiance. There was also a one-off because he was not sent off frequently during his long career. Large Liraren was needed on the pitch ...

Bert-Ola was the club's big star. When he left Timrå so there were not many cheerful faces. He was the third major star to leave the club during those years.

Both were on Swedish hockey writer Kent Jonsson's HMs as top Swedish defencemen of all time:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=5550751&postcount=12

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote