View Single Post
Old
12-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I detest christmas for what it has become. Meeting family and possible relatives, great, spending time together, great...

... but the rest? Christmas has been overcommercialized to the level of ridiculousness. Christmas songs and products in october. I'm sick of it. We have enough huge problems with overconsumtion as it is, like we need another excuse to spend more resources on things we don't need, to people who already have everything they need.

My family formed an agreement years ago. No christmas gifts - children excluded. At least we got that moment of absurd stress out of the picture. I've heard it's getting more and more common as well. Christmas has lost its point a long time ago. A common pattern in a society of extreme materialism, where there is no spirit left, only the shallow wrappings.
My family also decided to stop giving presents, which has made Christmas much better, I think. It's really come back to us just being together (my aunt is here from Finland, too).

Still, I did end up (surprisingly) with a magnum of Châteauneuf du Pape and a bottle of fine olive oil from my cousin after dinner at his apartment last night! When you're not expecting a present, and you get some anyway, it's all the more touching!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, and Enjoy the Season to everyone!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote