View Single Post
Old
12-25-2011, 05:02 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree with you 100%. My only wish is that we take these veterans move them for younger players to try and speed the retool process. I don't think the current contracts are the end of the world, but if we have trouble maintaining consistency with these players, we should retool accordingly. It happens all the time in sports. There's cycles and in this case, we can probably be competitive on a decent year with this core, but we'll never be top of the league, so take the young talent you have and seek out the correct players to compliment them or add to the core. For instance, adding a legit top line center in a Eric Staal, Getzlaf, etc...(although unavailable) would change the dynamic of the team already but that's my opinion. I just hope the guys making the big bucks realize we have a lot of assets that will help us down the road and all we need is to surround the paciorettys, subbans, price and so on with other strong talent. Easier said than done, but this issue is no different than many other teams in the league missing a 1st line center, a top pairing d or a starting goalie. We're experiencing something(on ice product) that even a team like Philly did. They were a good team, had a bad year, retooled and got picks and got JVR and company going forward. They recognized it wasn't their year and prepared for the future, that's the only thing I can realistically ask from management. The rest? Just details like language issues.
Agreed LL, I'm a bit worried about them moving out some picks/prsopects for a quick fix...but historically the habs haven't done that at all. Sure they moved a 2nd and a 5th for Wizniewski but that was a 2nd in a pretty weak draft year AND they addressed a sore need. This year they had a serious need and addressed it in the Kaberle/Spacek deal.

Which brings up another amusing thing, people talk about the poor asset management, and how that was such a desperation move...yet we always complain about moving out picks and prospects and here we moved out a 38 year old injury prone d-man for a 33 year old d-man with far more offensive capabilities. Signed at a fairly reasonable price as well.

If the Habs had traded a d-man they signed just in the Summer who had gotten off to a rought start, for a depth d-man in return people would have been up in arms about the poor return, selling low, blah blah blah...but how much praise have we seen for the Habs taking advantage of a situation where Carolina desparately wanted out of that contract?

If on the off chance Markov comes back and is a highly effective player, one of him or Kaberle becomes pretty attractive trade bait.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote