Thread: On the Radio: Bob Gainey now with the team
View Single Post
Old
12-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Why is it so catastrophic? Poor trading and asset management by Gauthier.

Look at Hamilton. One of the worst teams in the AHL. There isnt a lot there.

You can go through the list of Montreal transactions last year and you will see a lot of trades for nothing (Laps is a good example) in return and lot of giving up of draft picks.

Regarding Halak, I like Eller. I think one day he will be productive for this team. However, we should have gotten more for him.
Lapierre would really make a difference? Is that the good example on which you base your argument? Whew! Considering that Lapierre demanded to play on the first or second line, I say good riddance. He had delusions of grandeur. He's not used there in Vancouver because he isn't talented enough. We don't know yet what the prospect the Habs got in return will amount to but we do know that Lapierre's salary no longer counts against the cap. As for the trades for veterans, Moore and Halpern performed as expected. So did Wisniewski.

Gauthier made a number of positive moves besides bringing in Eller. How about Cole, Emelin, and Desharnais at no cost in prospects or draft picks? Or Kaberle at the cost of Spacek, who was contributing little? He also brought in Diaz and St-Denis. His trade for Nokelainen was mildly helpful. Signing Darche was no big deal. The Habs got a little more than they paid for. Gauthier didn't give up any first rounders (as Gainey unfortunately did for Tanguay).

As for not using young players, Gauthier has Leblanc playing in Montréal ahead of schedule.

I've stated a number of times that Halak has become an expensive backup for the Blues. Holding on to him was impossible and I doubt that Gauthier received any better offers for him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote