View Single Post
Old
12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Chris Kelly, C - best active penalty killer remaining, better resume than Jay McClement in quite a few ways.
Kelly's been one of my favourite players since he entered the league. He's a very smart and hard-working player.

Basically every third line he's played on has been a good third line that can play a substantial defensive role successfully. In Ottawa, he paired with a teammate for a few years as an outstanding 3rd line/PK duo, before taking the lead as the team's best 3rd liner. He's very good at pressuring the points on the PK and creating shorthanded chances, and doesn't sacrifice his lane coverage in doing so.

Offensively, he doesn't have much in terms of hands or creativity. But he skates hard, goes to the right places, passes the puck and drives the net, so he always ends up with 10-15 goals and 25-35 points. Which is pretty decent for a 3rd liner who never plays on the PP.

He had a substantial 3rd line/PK role in Ottawa's 2007 finals run, and in Boston's 2011 Cup run. He's also an outstanding teammate and leader, from all accounts. I was disappointed when Ottawa traded him in part because I hoped he would be part of Ottawa's leadership core down the road.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote