View Single Post
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Originally Posted by
I'm just stating that when things were really bad, not a lot of people stayed on the Flyers bandwagon. I remember being ridiculed for wearing a Flyers jersey during the Russ Farwell era, but I never gave up being a fan because I always thought the glory days would come back soon enough.
potential was never realized
, the youth was shipped out. This happened with guys like Terry Murray
(Cup Finals with a one-line team)
, Wayne Cashman**(Horrible coaching choice)**, Roger Neilson, Craig Ramsey
**(Conf. Finals with an injury ravaged team)**
and Bill Barber
**(Horrible strategic coach)**
The youth movement plan took a left turn somewhere along the way. With injuries to Gagne and Williams, there was no plan to bring up other young wingers (Brendl, Pletka, Divisek, etc......).
Instead, what we got was Gagne demoted to the Primeau line. Gagne was supposed to be a scorer and instead, his season was pretty much put to waste. Williams was dealt for Markov because we had no D depth left after dealing it away.
Fast forward to today. We have a top line of Gagne, Knuble and Forsberg and I have no problems with that. We have youth, size and experience on that line and I'll kudos where kudos is due. However, I see guys like Carter and Umberger and then I see guys like Kapanen and Radivojevic getting more ice time than these two. I see a Sami on the downside of his career and I see a Carter on the upside, but we can't make room for the upside. I see Radivojevic, good young guy, but a career third liner, getting more ice time than someone who can be a great 2nd line player. I also see a defensively rigid system in place that does not exploit and utilize the offensive gifts that a lot of the youngsters on this team have. I've stated before that all of our guys are good defensively. If you're a Philadelphia Flyer prospect, the one thing you know is how to play defense. I just see offensive talent being wasted at the expense of defensive rigidity.
I don't know about anyone else, but when the 2004 playoffs were going on, we weren't playing that tight defensive system that we're used to.
We played a free flowing offensive game
and we were dynamite. We were
outshot in every series
, yet we came oh so close.
I don't get why we should be struggling. I don't get why Hitch can't open things up a little more. All what I see when I watch the Flyers is a team that struggles to get things done. Maybe I'm tired of seeing all this talent and seeing 3-2 games because we have a coach that seems to not have confidence in the group of players that we have. So yeah, I'm really rough on the Flyers because I EXPECT more than what I'm seeing. I EXPECT this team to dominate, yet it seems we get by through the skin of our teeth. I EXPECT this team to start a huge run, yet it seems they are still off track.
This is by far one of the most talented teams on paper that I have ever seen. I take a look at this team and I see a team that should be tops or 2nd in its conference. Instead, I see a team who is sitting 5th in the Eastern Conference right now.
1. yeah... lots of people jumped the bandwagon. so many that they were still selling out the Spectrum.
2. competing for the cup and a slightly flawed team never quite got it done due to lack of depth at forward and no shutdown goalie behind them. that being said, go look at that youth that was shipped out. Prospal is the ONLY player that was shipped out that has really made an impact in the league.
3. Williams is soooo friggin overrated around this team for some reason. Brendl is awful man... don't even mention his name as a player that should of had a real shot. the fact that we pawned him off on Carolina was just brilliant. Pletka and Divisek have done nothing either... if they don't have the talent to get it done they shouldn't be getting call-ups just for the sake of a friggin youth-movement.
4. by demoted you mean kept with the center who got him his best statistical season prior to this season? by demoted do you mean playing on the most important line on a team that was one game away from the cup finals? if that's getting demoted sign me up. it's a friggin team and the best thing for the TEAM was to have Gagne playing that role.
5. Carter/Umberger = natural centers. Kapanen/Radio = natural wingers. explain how those two really have ANYTHING to do with the log jam for Carter and Umberger? Handzus is better than both right now. Forsberg is better than both right now... and another rookie is beating out both for 2nd line ice-time. Umberger is learning wing on the fly at the NHL level... and the offensive talent being wasted is completely asinine. if they went out and lit it up offensively do you think Hitch wouldn't give them more ice time?
6. i went to every home game and watched every road game. we did not depart from our defensive scheme... we got lucky that our friggin shutdown center found his finishing touch again, played a depleted NJ defense, a poor defensive team in Toronto, and a Lightning team that forced the tempo with their speed.
7. we're struggling?
personally i think being 5th in the conference with all those games in hand is a pretty good position given the point totals... but if we're struggling, it might be because of:
just a thought...
8. if we win 3 of our 4 games in hand on the rangers we WILL be 2nd in the conference. we haven't played with the team on paper yet because of all of the injuries... the team is doing friggin fine man. come down off the cliff and stop seeing disaster where the only problem is the lack of a consistent lineup.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Jester