View Single Post
Old
12-28-2011, 12:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
With video technology and camera angles there should be no excuse why every inch of the ice isn't covered for every game. No excuse in todays world.

As far as the ref not deeming it a penalty, once again, lame excuse. Did the ref see the elbow contact his head?

Someone had posted it was incidental contact since Weber's head was low. Well, shouldn't guys be responsible regardless of where the player is positioned? If a guy is laying on the ice and takes a stick to the face, there is a high sticking called. Why shouldn't it be the same when it's dealing with head shots? If the league is serious about cleaning up the concussion issue, all concussions and the hits that were given need to be reviewed, regardless of what the refs saw on the ice.

The other thing that needs to happen, and I agree with UTM on this, is that pads need to be used for protection, not as a weapon. Kevlar elbow pads are great to protect players but they are causing more and more concussions. Make the pads bigger and softer and you won't see so many guys getting hurt. I remember Staubitz pummeling Tootoo's face with his elbow pads in a fight a few years ago and Tootoo was a bloody mess afterwards. That to me showed the league had no regard for their players since it was clear Staubitz wasn't throwing punches in the fight but elbows covered in kevlar.

And this is not the first time Fistric had done something like this. That's what cracks me up. He's a repeat offender yet gets away with it. Wrong. Tootoo does the same thing and he's gone for an extended period of time. Tootoo levels Miller on a hockey play and gets two games, Lucic does the same thing and gets nothing. The NHL and Shanahan must decide on a course of action and stick to it. There is too much leeway going on right now. Either suspend guys for hits like or don't but if you're not, they must let the guys police themselves so pull out the instigator rule and let guys like McGrattan do what he's there to do. I'm sure if Fistric knows he has to answer the bell against McGrattan or their guys are targeted, these sorts of hits don't happen anymore.
At full speed it's somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of a second between the time Weber clears Nystrom and the impact by Fistric. He's committed to the intercept path at that point ... a read, react, commit play that had a bad outcome. It's the exact play we'd want from our defenders at that moment if they read a pinching defender coming up the boards about to get the puck.

It's a terrible outcome of a play that is relatively routine.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote