View Single Post
Old
12-28-2011, 02:24 PM
GalileoSmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I agree, I don't like Arniel, but I can hardly find fault with his decision for the shootouts. Was there a great deal of praise when we won 3 in a row in the shootout (I think it was)?

Things are so bad now, objectivity is completely lost. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are just aren't watching the game, look at the score, and decide it's time to start the hammering.

As I said earlier, I enjoyed watching us play for the first time in a long time. Still cringed at some silly unforced turnovers, but I liked the compete from the players. As I said earlier in the thread, it was the first time in a long time I didn't feel like we had a bunch of passengers. It was one of the few games were I felt like Carter was engaged for a few shifts in a row. Nash had some spunk. We had some attitude, collectively. For example, I saw Brassard actually fight through a check. We don't see a lot of that from him. It was real, live, puck hunger.

It wasn't the result we had hoped for (well most of us), but I enjoyed Blue Jackets hockey for a night.

I take objection with Howson saying "We aren't good enough". We have most of our top six under performing. We aren't competing. This team can win, even with our poor defense and questionable goal tending. I don't think it can go as far as we'd like in the playoffs, but it can make the playoffs (obviously this year is shot). The only reason I would like to see some players moved is that they don't compete as often as they are capable. That was the theme I was using with Dorse and DM. Those guys compete on most shifts. I'll take that over some of the other skill players that don't. Obviously you can't have a team of pure grinders, but they can set the tone. That's my biggest disappointment with RJ this year. Until recently (and even then it's been sporadic) he hasn't been competing. Without that level of compete, he isn't going to produce at this level.
I think that somewhere around half the players simply are not as good as people think they are. Vermette, Umberger, Pahlsson, Tyutin, Methot, when they bring their A-game to the rink, they still aren't good enough to provide wins when the opposing players bring their A-games too. As for last night's game, a hard-fought game is always more entertaining than a game played in low gear. But it would be nice if the games had meaning.

GalileoSmith is offline   Reply With Quote