View Single Post
Old
12-28-2011, 02:38 PM
ottawah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Here's the rosters from last year's U18s:

Granted, the U.S. has a distinct advantage in that tourney, but you don't think given the results over the past three years the USNTDP (at least the U18 team), if kept together could compete well in say the OHL?
Absolutely I agree, 100%. Keep them together another two years and they would.

But that is the point. Players in the CHL play against a higher level of talent night in and out. Heck, the b est CHL players do not even get in that extra two years, they are in many cases already dominating in the NHL. Players generally do not step right from the NDTP to the NHL even at the lowest level, much less what CHL players do. In league play its safe to say Trouba will not play against the talent level of Yakapov, Shieffle, strome on a consistent basis. He gets to at internationals only.

Personally I've had the chance to see Ceci shut down the like of Sheiffle, Yakapov, strome while producing a ppg pace against very good defenses on the other side. I'm not saying when all is said and done who will be the better D man, nor who will be chosen first, but that given the choice, I'd always lean towards the leagues that consistently produced far more NHL products.

Heck, we have seen it in Ottawa choosing Brian Lee over CHL D man of the year Marc Stall. That draft choice is still haunting us ..... And that was a choice over potential vs great now.

Just remember, its been 4 years since an American who was not playing CHL was chosen in the top 10. If Trouba does it it will be the first time in 4 years, and certainly good on him.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote