View Single Post
Old
12-28-2011, 03:28 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Rumblings (Columbus Trades? Hemsky Suitors? Carolina waits until Deadline?)

Some interesting stuff in Pierre LeBrun's latest column.

Quote:
"We haven’t played well in the last 2-3 weeks and it’s given us a little bit more clarity," Howson told ESPN.com.

So, trades are coming.

"We’re going to be open to discussions, yes," Howson said. "There’s nothing imminent right now, I don’t have anything on the burner right now. But certainly between now and over the next couple of months, we’re going to be very active, yes."
Quote:
"I have no intention of trading Jeff [Carter] at this point," Howson said.
Along with Brassard, LeBrun also suggest the following will be available
Quote:
the likes of Vaclav Prospal, Sammy Pahlsson and Kristian Huselius
I could see Pahlsson fetching the highest return of those three because I could see a handful of playoff teams who would love to have him. For some reason, I can see one of Pahlsson or Huselius going to Los Angeles.

Quote:
If the Darryl Sutter renaissance is successful in L.A. and the Kings are in a playoff spot come February, it wouldn’t surprise me if they came sniffing around on Hemsky again.
Quote:
Another club that could come calling on Hemsky is Detroit. The Red Wings have cap space and will be an aggressive team come the trade deadline. They’ll look at all kinds of options but I believe Hemsky will be among the names on their shopping list.
The problem for Edmonton is what kind of value does Hemsky have? He's constantly injured, and even when he isn't, he looks disinterested this year, like he's afraid of getting hurt. I think he'll get moved, though, especially because I don't think Tom Renney and him are on the same page.

Quote:
the catch for the Hurricanes right now, however: they can’t just go ahead with straight-up salary dumps in January in any trade because it risks moving them below the payroll floor. According to capgeek.com, the ‘Canes are at $51.4 million in payroll with the league’s floor set at $48.3 million this year.
Quote:
If they decide to wait right until the Feb. 27 trade deadline, by then the cap hit (and payroll hit) should be minimized, so they can go ahead and make any kind of deal they want.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote