View Single Post
Old
11-05-2003, 10:22 AM
montreal25m

vCash: 500
hmmmmmmmm

Just checked on Nhl.com, patrick roy is 6'2, 195lbs. Anyway, I like theo, I just don't want his contract. Colorado wouldn't be trading away there future as it is. They are getting a young number 1 goalie. What I am saying, we have strength in the goalie position. That is are only strength. Lets use use it to our advantage. Personally, 1 to 2 yrs down the road, I rather see Garon as our number one if he keeps developing the way he has. In terms of why would Lacroix want Theo, Lacroix loves his French Goalies. Burke is a possible anwser, a real short term anwser, Cujo is one of the most overated goalies in the world. I am sure Lacroix loves the fact that Detroit is stuck with him. Theo is young, dynamite and he can be the anwser for him to getting the cup back in Colorado, just like Patty did for him. I personally think that is impossible until they make a coaching change.

In terms of qualifying offers, I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter if you are making lower than the avg min. If you don't qualify him, he becomes a unrestricted free agent. If you qualify him, it is a min of 10% raise, in Theo's case that means 6.6 million approx for the 5th year. He then has a choice to accept the offer or become a restricted free agent. I am pretty sure on this because I think Saku was qualified a couple of years ago. I believe Sami Kapanen, one of the stumbling blocks why we didn't want him is because we would have to qualify his 3 millin contract after last year.

In terms of Theo's trade value, it is high but not at as high as we think. You have to remember, the goalie market is pretty bad especially goalies that are due to make around 6 mill a year over the next 3 yrs with the CBA up. If you can get a solid prospect goalie in Sauve, a first line winger OR defensemen and a third liner, you have done really, really, well.

Anyway, this is just a discussion. Personally, I don't know if i would have the guts of trading Theo.