View Single Post
Old
11-05-2003, 11:05 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I thionk that Lemieux had greater one on one skill but the vision and passing ability of Gretzky is far superior to Lemieux's puckskill. Pavel Bure has better one on one skill than gretzky that doesn't mean he is a better player. Gretzky had everything. He piled in the points at will. Dominated his sport like no other athlete in other sports. He is so far and away the superior player. Orr was great, Lemieux is great, Gretzky was hands down the greatest. Orr changed the face of defensemen, but butterfly goalies changed the face of goaltending as well. I don't say Hasek is the best goaltender of all-time because he was revolutionary in his style and success.
Not sure who you are arguing with here... those are pretty much the points that I made, and what everyone else made... Gretzky was as good as he was not because of his skill level, but because of his intelligence and vision.

Orr didn't just change the face of defensemen... he dominated the offensive and defensive zones like no other player before him, and like no other player has since. Hockey is a two-way game, and being able to dominate both ends is what made Orr great... the change he helped put forth was because of his greatness.