View Single Post
Old
12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
hdtrax

vCash: 500
I disagree with Cox most of the time (as do most Leaf fans) but he's got a valid point here. The team is far from a lock and yet Burke has provided his friend Ron with the equivalent of either a performance bonus (for making the playoffs) or a very, very good severance package (for not making the playoffs).

On the other hand...

I watched Moneyball last week, and I did notice something interesting in the scene where Art Howe (Philip Seymour Hoffman) tells Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) that he can't coach on a one year contract; that no one can "do what I do" for a year and have no plans for the year after. It dawned on me that Wilson likely thinks the same way. He can't keep his Leafs motivated and gunning for the playoffs while managing MASSIVE media and fan expectations without having some sort of guarantee for next year from Brian. I think Brian agrees and that's why a one year extension come forward. In that sense, the extension makes quite a bit of sense.

Nevertheless, I stand by my conviction that the extension was completely unwarranted.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote