View Single Post
Old
12-14-2005, 01:41 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
For the person who suggested we need a shooter more than a playmaker (which I agree with), why not have both? Brad Richards is known for his playmaking skills, but people seem to overlook his shooting.

He lead the Lightning with 244 shots on goal last season and netted 26 goals. He also led the Bolts with 88 shots on goal in 23 post-season games in 03-04, winning the Conn Smythe. Richards was the 2nd leading goal scorer with his 12 playoff goals (one behind Iginla) and led the playoffs with 26 points.

If Tampa Bay is going to have a difficult time re-signing him, Dave Taylor MUST do everything in his power to make a move and extend an offer to get Richards to become the #1 center for this team over the next decade (when Richards will be 35). He doesn't get the credit or recognition he deserves because he plays second fiddle to Lecavalier in Tampa Bay.

Next season, the contracts of JR, Luc and Val Bure (among others) will be gone, and the Kings will have plenty of room to sign a player of Brad Richards's caliber to a lucrative contract.
I think it is pretty obvious every other team in the league is thinking about the same exact thing as you are about Richards. There is no way we can obtain Richards without giving up an arm and a leg. Not only that, w/ the cap increase, it gives Tampa an opportunity to re-sign Richards if they felt so inclined. Richards is one of the few high priced players who will command a lot in return if traded. As of right now, I'd say our chances of getting Richards is slim to none.