11-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Are there any R sided, R handed, physical defensemen in the 6'2 - 6'4 range that make similar salary to a Connolly or Max that could be had for one of them?
Without hallucinogenic injections for the other GM? Hmmm...

Mike Van Ryn is a bit smaller than your parameters (6'1', 205) and has incentives in his contract that could easily drive it out of the $1.25 million range. Florida parted with sometimes discontented winger Val Bure and a conditional pick to land him and his presence allowed them to move promising backliner Ivan Majesky, so spares likely wont get him. But it would never hurt to ask Dudley if he's willing to deal--especially with the Panthers difficulty in scoring goals---even if he says "no".

Steve Staios is a bit older (he'll be 31 in the off season), but he plays an aggressive game and can occassionally string together some points. I'm going to not talk about him anymore, since I'm having flashbacks to watching him in junior with the Thunder and my age is glaringly in my face. Man, was that really 12 years ago....

Jason Doig with the Caps has the size, is only 26, and can play it tough to a degree---though there would be something to his somewhat perrenial journeyman status. He's still more in the same class as Fitzpatrick going into this season---looked to be depth rather than a key contributor. And unless someone expects a second miraculous development on the Sabres blueline in one season, I doubt he'd bring too much more than what they already have. In fact, possibly less.

Sami Salo, big guy with a cannon shot who's settled in nicely in Vancouver. A guy I can't see them moving, but hey, it never hurts to ask...